Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk 24 inch HomeGrown BMX Race

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Byron24
    Participant

Hello all I have a bit of a mystery here I need help with. I found a Bass Boat Green Schwinn Homegrown 24 inch BMX Race Bike. The bike has built-in chain tensioners as well and is in like new condition with all the original decals including the place it was powder coated. The frame has a tag from Olympic Powder Coating in Santa Ana Ca, so I called them any they said they had done quite a few of the Homegrown’s but they couldn’t tell me anything besides that. The frame is made from 6061 aluminum which means it wasn’t built by Yeti, but that’s all I know. Please help because I want to buy it, but I want to know what I am buying. 561-810-3934

walktheline
    Participant

Schwinn had a few 24″ racers, I bought one as a college cruiser back in 2001/2002.  It was a supersport I think, not a HG though.  I worked at a schwinn shop and didn’t ever see a HG racer.  However, it doesn’t mean that they weren’t built in a limited batch.  It is possible they were regular 24″ racers that someone decided needed to be colored the same as the regular HG’s.  A lot of people seem to think that the carbon frames from 1997-2000 were HG’s as well, like the S-60’s, but they were not.  It is possible this was the same deal.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Sounds like an interesting frame. Would love to see pictures.

livernose
    Participant

Let’s see some pics. You have my curiosity up.

livernose
    Participant

Very clean. Never seen anything like those before.

five8five
    Participant

miswartwin, those are sweet! Very nice bikes…I had a yellow Pro Stock 24 I wish I never sold.
    You should put these 3 in the bmx museum if you haven’t already! They are beautiful!

five8five
    Participant

Found some pics of my old Pro Stock 24…I miss that bike!five8five-ps1.jpgfive8five-ps2.jpgfive8five-ps3.jpg

miswartwin
    Participant

From 96 – 01, Schwinn made homegrown mountain bikes amongst their various US facilities.  They also made their Schwinn Pro Modified BMX cruisers in the states.  They have machined extruded chainstays and stamped dropouts like the bikes that were coming out of Anodizing, Inc. in Portland, OR. 

M

miswartwin
    Participant

I have built 3 of these bikes:
    1 – 1996 Schwinn Pro Modified 1 24” Cruiser – Polished (Pictured)
    1 – 1997 Schwinn Pro Modified 1 24” Cruiser – Custom Paint (1st Bike Owned, bought in 2004 and was told it was manufactured at Yeti)
    1 – 1998 Schwinn Pro Modified 1 24” Cruiser – Bass Boat Red

This bike is the first year it was offered, 1996, and from the machined fabrication of the dropouts, extended chainstay yoke, no gusset on the top tube (‘97 added a top tube gusset), 6061 Aluminum, American-Made and the coup-de-gräs, the bridged “Ram-Air” seatstay that eventually appeared on the 2000/2001 homegrowns coming out of Anodizing, Inc.  These are not officially called homegrowns, but they were… Y’all take a look.

Mmiswartwin-schwinn1.pngmiswartwin-schwinn2.pngmiswartwin-schwinn3.pngmiswartwin-schwinn5.pngmiswartwin-schwinn6.pngmiswartwin-schwinn7.pngmiswartwin-schwinn8.pngmiswartwin-schwinnpromods.pngmiswartwin-chainstay.pngmiswartwin-dropouts.pngmiswartwin-seatstay.png

miswartwin
    Participant

Thanks to JTRacer over at bmxmuseum.com

M
     miswartwin-scan0079zps33492aaa.jpgmiswartwin-pic2.jpgmiswartwin-pic3.jpg

ChattyMatty
    Participant

Man, I need to check in more often. There’s an ‘early’ and a ‘late’ within the 96’s as well. The first few had the tubular seatstay bridge common to HG’s and 20″ ENF/Pro Modifieds and the last 129 (so far, might be more) received the extruded stay. Haven’t been able to determine the total number produced, but frame #865 is a 20″, #870 has surfaced as as a 24″, and every frame after #870 had been a 24, so I’m guessing that all production switched over to the cruisers at that point. The highest ’96 serial to surface has been #1029, so given the difference of 159 units, and since humans like nice round numbers, I’m thinking likely 175-200 produced, with (at most) the first 30 receiving the round bridge.

Here’s an early frame:
    chattymatty-24crop.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top