Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk Can I get your best guess on the year?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sethmg
    Participant

Hey guys, newly signed up, but have lurked for a long time! Thanks for all the great info!

So I bought a Homegrown when I was 15 or 16, and have had it ever since. Pedals, seat and tires have been replaced, but otherwise it’s all stock. I can’t figure out whether it’s a ’95 or ’96 model though. According to the literature here, none of the ’95s had rapidfire shifters which mine does, but grip shifters instead. However, if it’s a ’96 model, then it must be the Homegrown XT. The only confusion I have there is the crank and hubs on my bike are LX, not XT, and the forks are the gold/tan color like the ’95s, not black like the ’96 literature shows.

Anyway, I know it’s not critical, but I am curious what the experts here think. Thanks in advance for your time. I’m getting ready to make some tasteful and mild upgrades to it soon so I can chase my three kids in comfort! Feel free to direct me, so I don’t screw it up! (like maybe a 100mm fork, riser handlebars, a 1×11 conversion…what do you think?…)

Seth

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Looks to have the asymmetric chainstay, so it would be a 95. Similarly from the logo, though it’s kind of hard to tell from the picture.
    Is anything functionally wrong with the fork or drivetrain? If you’re just looking to tool around with your kids, the stock (or at least period) bits should be more than adequate.

sethmg
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply. And you’re right; for chasing kids it’s just fine. I guess I just want it to be a bit more comfortable. Taller bars to take some weight off my wrists maybe?

Any theories about the rapid fire shifters if it really is a ’95? And the mix of XT and LX components? Maybe a frame built up by a bike shop employee?

Here’s more pictures just for fun. sethmg-img5376.jpgsethmg-img5377.jpgsethmg-img5378.jpgsethmg-img5379.jpgsethmg-img5380.jpgsethmg-img5383.jpgsethmg-img5384.jpgsethmg-img5390.jpg

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Riser bars would definitely help a bit, and any modern suspension fork will raise the front end of the bike a fair bit. It will slow down the handling a bit but that might not be all bad for you.
    The build matches the Homegrown LX with the exception of the shifters/levers so could just be a swap at the shop, warranty, original buyer (if not you) didn’t like Grip Shift, etc. Hard to say.

sethmg
    Participant

Thanks again for the feedback! Looking forward to some warmer weather and hitting the trails again!

Wiescins
    Participant

Everything looks like my 95, but the shifters, mine has grip shift x-rays, probably shop choice to swap them out. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top