Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    letenn
    Participant

I know the S40 isn’t a homegrown, but I hoped maybe the Schwinn experts here could tell me what I got?  I picked up an S40 couple days ago, dirt cheap.  During disassembly I noticed the parts seemed kind of cheap, which made me think the frame is cheap?  Took awhile to get it apart.  The bottom bracket was rusted in there pretty good.  After lots of PB Blaster I managed to get it out.   

So my question is, are those frames worth building up with quality parts?  The frame looks nice now that I got it washed up.  Paints chiped up though.  

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

S40 was the lower-end version of the S-x0 line, which was essentially the Taiwanese-made Homegrown Sweet Spot line. Some guys prefer the rear end from the S-series as it was a little beefier than the Homegrown rear end.
    I’d say your best bet is to ride it with the parts on it until you notice you don’t like performance or they start breaking; no point in replacing stuff just because it’s lower end if there’s nothing actually wrong with it.

letenn
    Participant

Were all the S Series frames the same?  Schwinn varied the components to adjust the price point?  I got the Bike cheap.  The frame is in good shape.  I’m going to fix up with parts I have laying around and see how it rides.  

letenn
    Participant

I got it back together.  Replaced the rusty parts with slightly better stuff.  I haven’t had a chance to ride it off road yet.  Does the Swing arm bushing need to be greased?  It feels like it sticks.  The rear shock might be shot too.  But I’ll see when I ride it.  

letenn-sweetspot.jpeg

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Yes, bike companies often use one frameset and change components to get a range of models. As far as I know all the S-series frames were identical.

mikehuangsd
    Participant

looks like this post is over a year old, but just wanted to let you know that I’ve got one too!  These s40s are awesome.  And they’ll take 27.5″ wheels, like so:

1999 Schwinn s40 bike

also don’t grease the bushing thing with anything petroleum-based – once that plastic dries out and cracks, that’s it for these mofos – no replacements are available-

bikeric
    Participant

If you need replacement pivots for these Sweet Spot frames just email MrPivotless@CastellanoDesigns.com and the MAN HIMSELF will get you fixed up properly.

mikehuangsd
    Participant

[quote=bikeric]

If you need replacement pivots for these Sweet Spot frames just email MrPivotless@CastellanoDesigns.com and the MAN HIMSELF will get you fixed up properly.

[/quote]

awesome!  thanks for the tip- I stand corrected!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top