Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    livernose
    Participant

Photo  #1is my wall hanger

Photo#2 is my rider.

livernose
    Participant

The wall hanger and rider are built very similar except for the drive trains. Photo #1 has NOS XTR 3 X 9 and blue front and rear Machine Tech  hubs on Mavic 717s. Photo #2 has modern XT 2 X 10 running a Machine Tech blue front hub and an XTR rear hub on Mavic 517s. Both have Avid Ultimate brakes, Thomson post and stem, Rockshox SID with remote lockout, and Stinger saddles and bags. The PU is my favorite hard tail rider.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

So pretty. How would you compare the ride between the P/U and your regular Homegrowns?

livernose
    Participant

The only comparison difference would be the PU feels smoother, quieter, and lighter although I’ve never weighed the two. The PU also has a more modern drivetrain that shifts better. I’ve also changed the PU fork to a Fox RLC 100, which is a little beefier than the SID on the HG. I just like the feel of the PU.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Cool. Interesting to get your perspective on the ride versus the test data and design of the frame. Wish I was a little taller and could justify one to ride but the garage is full anyway…

livernose
    Participant

[quote=tomatoadmin]

Cool. Interesting to get your perspective on the ride versus the test data and design of the frame. Wish I was a little taller and could justify one to ride but the garage is full anyway…

[/quote]

I know all about a full garage. Do you have a link to the  test data you referenced? I would be interested in reading it.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Whoops, it was Homegrown-related data. I mis-remembered. I will post it to the new site or can email it to you if you want. Sorry for the confusion.

livernose
    Participant

You have a new site? Will this one be shut down?

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

No, I’m just building from scratch to solve some lingering issues. When it’s ready I’ll swap it in the same place.

bikeric
    Participant

Nice Bikes!!  Too bad for me they only ever came in 19″ size.  sad

Were you aware that you can reverse the side the noodle attaches to on those Avid Black Ops brakes?  I did that on mine and it cleans up the cable routing to the rear brake.

My celeste green Michelins WildGrip’rs dry-rotted years ago. LOL  I remember lots of flats on them too (I think the skinwall sides were too flimsy).

Thanks for the story and pics to get me through my lunch-break.  Back to work.

livernose
    Participant

Not sure about the brake switch, but the noodle is  more than a 90 degree bend, I  don’t remember how  much more. If  you have a photo of your rear noodle set up to look at, please post.

bikeric
    Participant

Sorry for delayed response and simple links.  I just had a new hard drive installed onto my laptop and I lost all my Bookmarks and sign in information for various websites.  

All you do is unbolt the noodle from the left arm and install it onto the right arm, and vice-versa for the pinch bolt.  Then you can use a standard 90deg noodle.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

I upgraded your links. If you use the image icon in the toolbar you can “insert” images hosted elsewhere.tomatoadmin-annotation2019-10-01082542.png

bikeric
    Participant

Thanks John.  Imgur is one of the websites my computer lost links to.  I currently only have Imgur access on my phone, and its Mobile App isn’t as friendly.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Gotcha. Good reminder that I need to take some more time on mobile with the site redesign too. Thanks.laugh

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top