Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier Forums General Stuff Homegrown Talk Introducing my new HG FS 1997

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Thompson
    Participant

I know new is such a strong word but she’s new to me so there.

I just bought it on one of those online marketplaces, I don’t remember now, but it was advertised as a Schwinn Trail Bike.  So I opened up the pics and I saw that it was a fs schwinn and I saw the tomato decal.  So I saved the pics and blew them up to do research faster than looked at it. So after no negotations I bought it for $95. The forks aren’t original, the seat isn’t original, the handle bars aren’t original but everything else seems to be good to go. 

She’s at my buddies home getting tuned up and ready for the Vegas trails…aka dirt and rocks. Here are the pics I got from the ad.  I’m debating on doing the whole rear disc brake set up because the front is ready for it but who knows…..I’m very frugal.

I’m Josh by the way and live in North Las Vegas.

Joshua Thompson
    Participant

I have a set of 26 inch crank bros wheels set up for discs so I was thinking of doing it that way but the mounting on the rear arm looks tricky with the angle of the rear drop out welds. 

So this was a frame build up? I’m down with that so if I break it I won’t be too upset lol.

I hope my friend can really do a good job with it. Both wheels are matching with the shifters and derailers.  Not sure of the handle bars yet, haven’t had the guts to start taking her apart.

Joshua Thompson
    Participant

97BH00193 is the serial number on the rear suspension. Does that help identify it at all?

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Not really. Serial number correlation was kind of sketchy back then. Next version of the site will include a serial number database so we can see if we can make any sense of it. For the rear brake, you would need something like this, which is probably pretty difficult to find. Like Eric said, probably best to just ride with what’s on it for now.

bikeric
    Participant

That’s a good looking bike, and you got it at a GREAT PRICE!!

My impression is that the frame was originally sold as a frame only, or could have been a warranty replacement.  Nothing pictured above would have come on it from the Schwinn factory except maybe the rear derailleur.  I’m not saying that in a bad way.  It looks like there is a Syncros seatpost, Race Face crankset, Marzocchi fork, etc. is all good stuff, but not what Schwinn was equiping bikes with at the time.

If you’re frugal I would not recommend going to disc.  You’re going to need new wheels front and back plus the calipers/rotors and levers if going hydraulic.  The frame isn’t made for it either, so you would need some version of an adapter.  All in all it’s $$$.

Welcome Aboard!! It’s great that you joined the site to show off your new ride.  I hope you have fun here and get all the help you need to keep these Homegrowns rolling strong.      

Joshua Thompson
    Participant

Here she is all tuned up and no rider to take her out. I got hit on my way to work while riding my 69 Schwinn Typhoon.

Ankle hurt plus tons of back and neck pain to deal with.

tomatoadmin
    Keymaster

Yikes, hope you recover quickly and can get riding again soon!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top